Getting started with SavaPage: questions and answers

@thoschi This can be done with IPP Routing.

@rijkr Thank you, that was the right point to start - I still need to understand all the details about Savapage obviously! Got it working quickly then :slight_smile:

So the Terminal is deciding what to do from the senders address and the username is transmitted (as it is to cups). And depending on the “routing options” the correct amount of money is billed against the correct user account. Impressive!

Is there a way to internet print to 2 different printers directly? I do not plan to do this so do not need it - just to check how far I understood the workflows of Savapage.

For different trays I would then create different Printers that send to two different qeues with different values for media-tray?

Is there a way to allow double sided printing this way (its greyed out on the client)? Again as a different printer, giving other queue options or are there other options.

Thank you!
Thomas

@thoschi

Q: Is there a way to internet print to 2 different printers directly?
A: No, it’s limited to a single printer.

Q: For different trays I would then create different Printers that send to two different qeues with different values for media-tray?
A: No need to create different Printers. Create a Queue for each tray and assign the tray to the media-source in the IPP Routing Options/Terminal. You can use this pattern for any combination of IPP key/value pairs. Key/value for double sided printing is “sides”:“two-sided-long-edge”. The Printer Setting Options shows a list of options you can use.

Oops. Thanks for the help. One question I have is whether there is any support for cash/check payments, or if you know of any organizations that have a workflow to handle that.

@lorsungcu

Q: Is there any support for cash/check payments?
A: The Point-of-Sale Web App has a Deposit section where a Web Cashier can deposit funds to a user’s printing account after receiving a cash/check payment.

Hi everyone!

I’m implementing a Savapage platform as a POC for a printing management solution in our company but I’m having and issue with LDAP authentication.
Our AD Forest has a parent and a child domain, users that belong to domain(dot)com (parent domain) can authenticate sucessfuly when base domain field is set up as DC=domain, DC=com, but users from subdomain(dot)domain(dot)com (child domain) are unable to authenticate. On the other hand, if I setup up base domain field as DN=subdomain, DN=domain, DN=com, all users belonging to subdomain(dot)domain(dot)com can authenticate succesfuly but all users from domain(dot)com cannot.
Is there a way to enable authentication on both parent and child domain simultaneously?
Thanks in advance!

@Hugo, welcome to SavaPage!

SavaPage has a single configuration point for AD connectivity. I’m not familiar with AD Forest architecture and how to authenticate users in subdomains. Could Searching the Global Catalog be an option? If so, I’m not sure how to implement this in SavaPage. I’m open to your suggestions: send them to support@savapage.org

Hello @rijkr, first of all, thank you very much for your input and for the time you spent looking into my issue.

I’ve been trying different approaches in order the overcome the issue, mostly trying different domain controllers with different base domain fields, so far with no success, but I’ll take a deeper look into your suggestion.

In my organization we use GLPI which is a Service Management Software also running on linux and based on open source technologies. The guys that developed it had an ingenious approach to the multi domain issue, basically the software supports the configuration of different domains simultaneously: for each domain you should provide the domain controller IP address, the user with permissions to connect and query the domain and the base domain field for the corresponding domain. The way it works is: when a user first logs on, the software tries all the domains one by one until it finds the user, it then keeps the association between the domain and the user in it’s internal database so that the next time the user logs on it knows which domain controller to contact.
I mention it as a suggestion for a possible workaround if in the future you decide to implement multi domain authentication.

I’ll let you know if I find a solution to my issue.

Congratulations on developing this amazing piece of software that is SavaPage and above all, for sharing it with the community.

Cheers!

@Hugo If GLPI has an authentication API you can use it in a Custom User Authentication script.

Tip: A sample CLI program custom-auth-sync-sample.sh with both plug-in interfaces combined (User Synchronization + User Authentication) is found in /opt/savapage/server/examples/ext/

Hello @rijkr!
I was able to solve my issue simply by pointing savapage to a global catalogue domain controller on port 3268, that way users from both parent and child domains were able to authenticate successfully.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Cheers!

Hi @Hugo , Thanks for your feedback. I have incorporated your findings into the User Manual:

In case you connect to a Global Catalog server (Microsoft Active Directory) [21] use Port 3268 or 3269 (SSL).

Hi,
We use the fast printing feature.
We started to get successful printouts with the card reader.
However, our users also want to use the fast printing option for double-sided printing.

Custom ppde;
*VENMediaSource media-source
*VENMediaSource *VENAuto auto
*VENMediaSource VENMain main
*VENMediaSource VENTop top
*VENMediaSource VENMiddle middle
*VENMediaSource VENBottom bottom
*VENMediaSource VENBypassTray by-pass-tray
*VENMediaSource VENManual manual
*VENMediaSource VENTray1 tray-1
*VENSides sides
*VENSides VENOneSided one-sided
*VENSides *VENTwoSidedLongEdge two-sided-long-edge
*VENSides VENTwoSidedShortEdge two-sided-short-edge

*SPExtra/media/na_letter_8.5x11in: letter-to-a4 \ *media/iso_a4_210x297mm

What steps do I need to take to get double-sided printing with the fast writing feature?
thank you for everything

Hello @blown_5, welcome to SavaPage!

Fast Print Mode results in one (1) printed copy of all SafePages jobs according to the default printer settings. Printer defaults are picked up from CUPS, so set Double-Sided Printing as default in CUPS.

Your custom PPDE file serves another purpose: “The PPDE file holds mappings of original PPD file options to their IPP attribute and values counterparts”. So, the VEN prefixed options in your PPDE file must be replaced by their PPD equivalent (VEN stands for VENdor specific).

1 Like

This time all printouts will be 2-sided.

Can’t the user print both single-sided and double-sided using the fast print feature?

It’s a big problem for our organization. How can we overcome this problem by making improvements?

Thank you.

I’m working on a solution, will keep you posted.

1 Like

I’m waiting impatiently.
Mr rijkr

Excuse me sir, how to install driver SAVAPAGE.PPD in Windows 10? but in windows 10 only work .INF

1 Like

@rijkr,
@alfarizi
We will definitely need a Windows driver for the fast printing feature. Because it is not fully compatible with standard drivers from Microsoft and other manufacturers.

I can say that the SAVAPAGE.ppd driver works very functionally on my Linux computer.

How can I add the double-sided printing option to the Windows driver project you created ?

; -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; SavaPage Printer Driver, (c) 2015 Datraverse B.V.
;
; SPDX-FileCopyrightText: 2015 Datraverse B.V. info@datraverse.com
; SPDX-License-Identifier: AGPL-3.0-or-later
;
; -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Version]
Signature=“$Windows NT$”
Provider=Datraverse B.V.
ClassGUID={4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class=Printer
CatalogFile=oemprint.cat

DriverVer=15/05/2012,0.9.0.0

; Manufacturer section
[Manufacturer]
“SavaPage”=SavaPage,NTamd64,NTia64

; Model sections
[SavaPage]
“SavaPage Printer Driver” = SAVAPAGE.PPD, SavaPage

[SavaPage.NTamd64]

[SavaPage.NTia64]

#########################################################################

savapage.drv file ;

//=============================================================================
// NO DUPLEX
Duplex none

// Testing Inputslots…
// They are displayed in picklist in Ubuntu, Windows, Mac OS, BUT the
// selection is NOT passed to the IPP request when printing the job, why !?

InputSlot 0 “main/Main”
InputSlot 1 “top/Top”
InputSlot 2 “middle/Middle”
InputSlot 3 “bottom/Bottom”
InputSlot 4 “side/Side”

Thank you…

1 Like

@alfarizi Welcome to SavaPage!

SAVAPAGE.PPD is for CUPS only. For Windows, see Which PostScript driver to use in Windows?

@blown_5 The SavaPage Windows OEM Driver you refer to is deprecated.

hi everyone…
I’m having trouble, how do I connect the Savapage server to the HP LaserJet MFP M527 printer so that users can log in to the printer machine when printing documents, so far I’m still printing documents using the Savapage web, help me…