Getting started with SavaPage: questions and answers

You’ve just discovered SavaPage, but wonder: does this solution really meet my needs? We recognize it’s sometimes difficult to find ready-made answers in the User Manual for specific scenarios you have in mind.

Ask your questions here so that we can easily put you on track.

Hello everyone,

I would like to implement SavaPage on my company. We use here HID Proximity Card II for door access. I was wondering if the HID cards will be compatible with those ACS card readers the Linux library supports. I know nothing about RFID systems, could anyone of you point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

@eabreu savapage-nfc-reader uses Linux package libacsccid1 which is a PC/SC driver for ACS USB CCID smart card readers.

There are PC/SC driver packages for other smart card readers available, but I do not see a PC/SC driver for HID Proximity Card II readers in Linux (Debian).

HID Global does have Linux PC/SC HID OMNIKEY drivers available for download, but I have no experience with this solution and don’t know if this suits your requirement.

Finding out if/how this HID solution works will surely need substantial research. A first step would be to get plain RFID reading going in a proof-of-concept setting with target reader and sample card(s). Next, the proof-of-concept needs to be integrated into savapage-nfc-reader.

May be you can get support via the PCSC lite project to find out about HID support. I hope this helps you to get on your way.

Thank you for your quick answer @rijkr. I will dig into this topic with the information you have provided. Thanks again.