SavaPage on a Single-Board-Computer

If SavaPage Server Requirements are met, it is feasible to install SavaPage on a System-on-Chip (SoC) or Single-Board-Computer (SBC), like Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone.

If you have questions about installing on a SoC/SBC, or want to share your success story, please reply to this post.

1 Like

Hello.

I considered running SavaPage on a raspberry pi, but I couldn’t find any ARM builds. As far as I could see there are only x86 builds. Did I miss something?

@MetaFight You are correct. Currently x86 is the only installer available. Although the Java part and shell scripts are cross platform, the C/C++ binaries needs to be rebuild on any non-x86 GNU/Linux platform.The git repositories concerned are:

Clone each repository to your target SBC and execute a make to build the binary.

2 Likes

Anyone considering a SBC deployment should check their Print Performance Factors to determine if the SBC can handle the expected proxy print load.

1 Like

Sony for bumping a rather old topic

A community member @ nethserver wants to take this on and in my role as “Arm Team Coordinator” am assisting him. (note nethsever is centos 7 based so we are building for armv7l on Centos)

Building the C/C++ binaries was a quite easy task…
However installing the rest of it is a bigger challenge , this foremost because do not know java (I mean…really nothing)

Any pointers how to go from here?

ATM considering to grep the x64 savapage-setup-<version>.x86.bin extract it :slight_smile:

• rename some directories to linux-armv7l
  • exchange the mentioned binaries.
  • go trough the install scripts and “sed” i686 to armv7l…

@KSAT-Design (the person who takes it on @ nethserver) good to see you here too!

EDIT: applying the above above mentioned strategy resulted in a running savapage server
(NOTE: that’s all, did no testing what so ever)

@markvnl Welcome to SavaPage! Congrats, the screenshot shows you succeeded to run SavaPage on arm architecture :slight_smile: Sure, you can run some simple tests now. For instance, by enabling and creating an Internal User and perform a Web Print. Add a printer in CUPS and it should Synchronize in SavaPage and show up in the User Web App. The User Manual is your friend.

thanks for the welcome,

Testing is up to @KSAT-Design :slight_smile:

As said we have “build” it on CentOS7 meaning the binaries are build against old versions of pam-devel and cups-devel… Also notable is the outcome of uname -m can be unpredictable on arm 32 bit, on a rpm based system it may be one of these:

$ rpm --eval %{arm}
armv3l armv4b armv4l armv4tl armv5tl armv5tel armv5tejl armv6l armv6hl armv7l armv7hl armv7hnl armv8l armv8hl armv8hnl armv8hcnl

This being said here a Prove Of Concept savapage-setup-1.3.0-poc1-linux-armv7l.bin which asumes the out come of uname -m == armv7l

@markvnl Good job :+1: @KSAT-Design Good luck with your tests :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey friends,
I am interested in what SavaPage seems to promise (open source access to two printers via a webapp, without any client side configuration on PC or smartphone).

However, in order to even test this I need a suited host. I must say I am a bit surprised that the SavaPage project does not support the RaspberryPi, let alone provide a ready-to-deploy RPi image.

What’s the recommended solution here? I want to set up a small print server with minimal size and power requirements.

@ThomDietrich Welcome to SavaPage! The installer is for 64-bit systems only. I implemented a change though: you now have the option to proceed with the installation in case your OS is not recognized as 64-bit. Assuming your RPi is 64-bit, can you have another try with the latest 1.5.0-rc version?