Getting started with SavaPage: questions and answers

Typo - But I am losing my mind. I cannot find the settings I know I saw, to allow account creation on demand. I thought I saw them and they were set. The error I am down to is

2021-06-14 08:46:42,049 WARN AppLogServiceImpl:123 - User WebApp ~ Login: user “XuseridX” does not exist

Ok I have to set user source to unix to see the account on demand creation stuff. But it still doesn’t do it. No error in log.

I need a different angle I guess. Maybe I’ll work out a signup form or something.

@steveinbuffalo account creation on demand works for external users only. Picking Unix as external user source is fine, but you need to take care that the user you want to lazy create in SavaPage pre-exists in Linux (or any other external user source you choose).

That piece wasn’t clear. (that it had to be pre-existing external). I put together a signup form to address the issue, so all is good.

How/where would I be able to change screen prompts? specifically the web app login. I would like to change “user name” and “password” to something else (ie cardnumber and pin).

edit: I tried the i18n override per instructions but it was ignored, so I finally adjusted it in the original jar file for now just to get it done. I don’t know what step I might have missed.

@steveinbuffalo If users actually have a cardnumber and pin to authenticate, you might consider using ID Number Login, without the need to customize the screen prompt. If you do want to customize and have questions, please reply to How to customize SavaPage look-and-feel so we can move on from there.

ID Number would still confuse them. I changed the prompts.

The current issue I’ve found is when submitting the job ticket, I check landscape, but in the job tickets screen I still show the job as portrait.
edit: I think its function is not what I assumed to look at it.

@steveinbuffalo Indeed, the “Landscape” checkbox you refer to is for the Print Preview only. It is not a printer setting.

Hi,
I’m testing out Savapages for implementation in a school in Belgium. I seem not to be able to create groups. The lists that are showing are empty. So I can’t select a group to add or to delete…
Is it possible to help me out? Thank you

Update: Sorry, I needed to configure the user source. I set it on Unix. I tought you could add groups just like internal users.
N0a

@ictvko Welcome to SavaPage! Actually, you can create Internal Groups with internal users as member. But selecting an external User Source, like UNIX, OpenLDAP, FreeIPA, Microsoft Active Directory, Google Cloud Directory, etc., allows you to define groups in that source and then add them in SavaPage.

Hi @rijkr, Thank you for your fast reply and pointing me in the good direction. Amazing product! I’m testing now with build in groups just to give a proof of concept to my principal at the school. Second step is making it work with AD. Thank you!

One last question.
I have a scenario where there is a ticket operator (administration) and there are ticket makers (teachers). The teachers create tickets and the operator does the prints. The teacher can select the class the prints are for by selecting the class at the invoice dropdown. This works perfectly. If I want to print an overview or download and excel of the tickets per class/invoice how can I achieve this. Looks like it is only possible to generate a report per teacher personal prints but not filter by invoice account. Is this possible?

Regards N0a

@ictvko Did you have a look at the Reports? If you have extra requirements, please let me know.

Hi we’ve just discovered about savapage, we’re looking to set up an accountless print service where users can go upload a document and pick up later. as we live in a time where people have numerous accounts, we would like to do this without the need to login. is there a way to disable login?

Hi @fuseteam. Welcome to SavaPage!
Login can’t be disabled. User identification is crucial to assign uploaded documents to the right person. You can mitigate user identification/authentication inconvenience by using authentication persistence or trust, e.g. enable Browser Local Storage. See User Authentication in the User Manual.

hi, thanks for welcome.
we were talking internally about the feature to assign the uploaded documents to the right person too, but we would also like to avoid the inconvenience of creating accounts, especially for one off customers.
i think i personally have a few ideas how we can mitigate that. i’ll discuss it with my colleagues and get back to you if you’re interested

@fuseteam Sure, you are welcome to share details about your requirement and solution.

1 Like

Hi.
Firstly, savapage is a great thing, that fits for me and I like it.

Maybe you can share some scenarios how to automatically print all emails from one address on “default” printer?

That’s beyond SavaPage capabilities. You can use Mail Print to print email one by one.

Hello,
First of all thanks for this awesome work, I’m trying it in a testing environment to see if I can replace an old pcounter server. Web printing is incredible and works like a charm, but our principal need is to print( if the user selects it) directly to a specific printer using specific Queue, Do Savapage has a funtionality like I described? because the users that works at the office, now prints like that, and, make a user, to now do the print to the queue, and then, make it open the website and then go thru the options and selection of the printer to then realy print the document, is really a tedious migration for final users because I will force to do more steps to do the same.

Thanks in advance and for your preciate time