Getting started with SavaPage: questions and answers

@ictvko Did you have a look at the Reports? If you have extra requirements, please let me know.

Hi we’ve just discovered about savapage, we’re looking to set up an accountless print service where users can go upload a document and pick up later. as we live in a time where people have numerous accounts, we would like to do this without the need to login. is there a way to disable login?

Hi @fuseteam. Welcome to SavaPage!
Login can’t be disabled. User identification is crucial to assign uploaded documents to the right person. You can mitigate user identification/authentication inconvenience by using authentication persistence or trust, e.g. enable Browser Local Storage. See User Authentication in the User Manual.

hi, thanks for welcome.
we were talking internally about the feature to assign the uploaded documents to the right person too, but we would also like to avoid the inconvenience of creating accounts, especially for one off customers.
i think i personally have a few ideas how we can mitigate that. i’ll discuss it with my colleagues and get back to you if you’re interested

@fuseteam Sure, you are welcome to share details about your requirement and solution.

1 Like

Hi.
Firstly, savapage is a great thing, that fits for me and I like it.

Maybe you can share some scenarios how to automatically print all emails from one address on “default” printer?

That’s beyond SavaPage capabilities. You can use Mail Print to print email one by one.

Hello,
First of all thanks for this awesome work, I’m trying it in a testing environment to see if I can replace an old pcounter server. Web printing is incredible and works like a charm, but our principal need is to print( if the user selects it) directly to a specific printer using specific Queue, Do Savapage has a funtionality like I described? because the users that works at the office, now prints like that, and, make a user, to now do the print to the queue, and then, make it open the website and then go thru the options and selection of the printer to then realy print the document, is really a tedious migration for final users because I will force to do more steps to do the same.

Thanks in advance and for your preciate time

Hi @jtonioloUdesa, welcome to SavaPage! Printing directly to a specific physical printer is not the way SavaPage works. All scenarios aim to get PDF documents into the SavaPage web app first. A physical printer can then be selected in this Web App to print the document. There is an IPP Routing scenario that is the exception to the rule. But that’s a very limited way to print to printers located next to workstations.

1 Like

I’m slowly working my way through the savapage manual as I set up our server, I chose debian 11 bullseye as my base as it appears debian is what the manual was written with in mind.

I got all the way to section 2.3.6, when I attempt to do as the manual says and change cupsd to foreground mode by editing the service, it causes the service to be stuck in an endless “activating” loop. I’ve tried everything I can think of to resolve it with zero luck. all the normal places that normally give you service errors are giving me nothing. Help?

Hi @swizzler, Welcome to SavaPage! It’s hard to tell what went wrong. Seems to be very specific to your situation. Please contact support@savapage.org to share details.

Hey All!

I’m right now trying to setup savapage as a proof of concept and have a few struggles regarding oauth2. I’ve build the savapage-ext-oauth-1.4.0.jar and injected it with the correct properties to savapage. So far so good. I recognized, that a login only works with a User with the same Name already created on the internal system.

After finding this following comment in the wiki:

Select At first login to ad-hoc create a user when they successfully Login to SavaPage for the first time.

This also includes an OAuth login if the OAuth provider uses the same (LDAP) user source that is configured in SavaPage as external User Source. This situation can be configured in the OAuth Plug-in properties file.

I asked myself if this is going to work. I connected our on-prem AD as datasource and recognized, that the SSO Login might not work because how the users get synced. In the logs I see a login attempt with SSO (Name.Surname) and when syncing AD Users from LDAP I see them as (name.surname) [non-capitalized]. Might this be the issue why I cant login with my Azure SSO and might not be supported fully yet?

Anyone stumbled across this?

Thanks!

Hi @malm , Welcome to SavaPage! I have created a SavaPage test version to solve this issue. Please contact support@savapage.org so I can provide the details and we can exchange test results. The solution will be published in response to this post.

Hi @swizzler , as discussed in our email conversation, Debian 11 requires an extra statement in the systemd cups.service override. This has been corrected in the User Manual.

Thanks again for helping! I had one other (hopefully) simple question, I’m setting up my printer trays in media source, but some of the paper sizes we use (11"x17" Tabloid size for example) aren’t listed, is there a way to add a custom paper size?

I have modified the code. Try the latest 1.4.0-rc version and let me know if this solves your issue.

Yes, I now see more sizes, including ledger/11x17

Thank you

Hopefully last question for a while, I’m doing some testing to see if the system will work for us, and I’m trying to figure out if guest printing is a possibility, where a guest without a user account can utilize web printing to upload or email a document to a printer, and that document will be removed after that guest session ends?

I see the web printing option, and in my tests it works great, but I don’t see how someone can use the feature without a user account.

I’m also trying to figure out how to pull in a database of users, in this case from KOHA, a library ILS. But I think that functionality is there, I’m just not fully grasping it yet.

@swizzler Mail Ticket Print can be used to allow unknown (guest) users to Mail Print and collect their print at a desk equipped with the Mail Tickets Web App. A Mail Ticket Operator selects the Ticket ID as notified in an email reply to the Mail Print sender. Since the costs are shown before printing, the operator can charge the amount due to the guest user.

There is no integration with Koha (yet). I’m studying how to implement a generic User Sync and Auth Interface.

I added “azure.savapage.usersource” key to the OAuth azure.properties.template : azure.savapage.usersource=true will add-hoc create users in case “On demand user creation”
“At first login” is enabled. Handling is implemented in the latest 1.4.0-rc.

1 Like