Getting started with SavaPage: questions and answers

Hi @rijkr ,

I was trying to setup Savapage on a VM for testing. During working through the Savapage manual I successfully added my printer (Canon Pixma MG5750, WiFi) in CUPS. I could also print a test page from CUPS. I see my printer in the proxy printer list in Savapage but with the warning “Configuration needed”. Just as you suggested crege2 I tried to configure at least one media source but I’m not able to do that.

In the manual, Figure 4.59, I should see some media source options like “A4 – yellow”, “A4 – white” etc. but I don’t see those options and I can’t find a way to add a media source. What am I doing wrong? Can you help me?

I tested Savapage in a virtual machine, bridged to my local LAN. Tried on Ubuntu Bionic and Focal Fossa.

Hi @remco011 , welcome! It looks like the “media-source” (paper trays) of your printer is not recognized by default. Please take a look at (and reply to) How to solve unrecognized Proxy Printer capabilities .

1 Like

Thank you. That worked beautifully, and I’m able to print nicely! I wish this was in the manual, I couldn’t find something as simple and concise in the manual the way you explained it here. You should consider pasting this response into the manual :slight_smile:

Some of my users are wondering if they can be assigned a default printer, so they don’t have to go to their printer portal to print their jobs (they want prints to happen automatically).

Is this an available feature?

Hi I have installed savapage in my server for monitoring my printer Lexmark Mx310 series and Lexmark CX921de series as i am giving print from windows pc i am getting the following error which i have mentioned below. Can anyone help me to solve this am i making any mistake here

1. IP Print data from [192.168.19.53] is not PostScript. Header pk
  2. My printer has been added through CUPS but in my savapage proxy printers it is showing Configuration Needed.

@aric Yes, I had already realized that and created a section in the User Manual called DNS-SD Printers :slight_smile: Can you please review?

As a general rule, automatic print to public printers is not a good idea. It leads to paper waste (prints not picked up) or privacy breaches (prints laying around a long time for everyone to read). In those cases Secure Printing is the way to go: see Personal Print - Secure Scenarios.

There are, of course, exceptions when printers are secured in a physical private space (a print room) where print jobs are handled by a dedicated officer (print job operator). This case is covered by SavaPage through the Job Ticket Print scenario.

If you place a Network Card Reader (NFC authentication) next to a printer you can implement a Fast Print Mode follow-me printing scenario. If a network printer is placed besides and restricted to a workstation, automatic printing can be achieved with the IPP Routing scenario. Beware, these are advanced topics.

Welcome @Gowtham !

1. This is a matter of picking the right PostScript driver. Take a look at Which PostScript driver to use in Windows? - #4 by rijkr
  2. See my reply How to solve unrecognized Proxy Printer capabilities - #5 by rijkr

I was hoping to be able to use this in a public library setting, but cannot figure out if there is a way to prevent the print from printing out without the use of some form of print release station. I would like where staff have to release upon receipt of payment.

Also does any library currently use this?

@steveinbuffalo Hi Steve, welcome to SavaPage !

There are basically two ways you can do this. For the first one, each user (patron) that needs to print must be known in SavaPage. Users can than login to the User Web App and upload their documents (pdf, txt, docx, …) or graphics (jpeg, png, bmp, …) and create a so called print job ticket. Tickets are handled by a Job Ticket Operator, i.e. a staff member at the reception who prints the document and collect the costs. See Job Tickets Web App .

In the second scenario users can just email the document to be printed as file attachment to a special purpose email address. They get a reply with a Mail Print Ticket number. A Mail Ticket Operator at the library can, at the request of the user, collect the document by ticket number and e-mail address, print the document and collect the costs. This scenario is currently in beta testing by a US public library and is not yet described in the user manual. It is an extension of the Mail Print scenario. You are welcome to join as beta tester. Send a message to support@savapage.org and I’ll help you on your way.

I can see how this would work. I got it all set and working with internal account. :slight_smile: If only it has SIP login (library systems use SIP for librarycard/pin logins to check things out, used pub terminals etc.

Is there a way for users to change their email address on file? I see where they can reset their password.

I created an issue to add an option for internal users to set/change their email address.

@steveinbuffalo SavaPage does not support SIP2, but you could use a SIP2 communication library for PHP to create a SIP2 authentication front-end for SavaPage. Once authenticated by SIP2 you can use our XML-RPC method onetime-auth.createToken to automatically login to the User Web App. You can see how this is done in our PHP solution created for SSO to SavaPage from Moodle: see moodle-block_savapage.

All I get back is nil instead of a token… <ex:nil> Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

I’ll try again later, or try for a different angle.

@steveinbuffalo Did you set the TTP API key in the web-login.ttp.apikey configuration property? Also check web-login.ttp.enable = Y and the expiration criterion in milliseconds as set in the web-login.ttp.token.expiry-msecs configuration property. See User Manual.

Last but not least, check /opt/savapage/server/logs/server.log for error details.

Typo - But I am losing my mind. I cannot find the settings I know I saw, to allow account creation on demand. I thought I saw them and they were set. The error I am down to is

2021-06-14 08:46:42,049 WARN AppLogServiceImpl:123 - User WebApp ~ Login: user “XuseridX” does not exist

Ok I have to set user source to unix to see the account on demand creation stuff. But it still doesn’t do it. No error in log.

I need a different angle I guess. Maybe I’ll work out a signup form or something.

@steveinbuffalo account creation on demand works for external users only. Picking Unix as external user source is fine, but you need to take care that the user you want to lazy create in SavaPage pre-exists in Linux (or any other external user source you choose).

That piece wasn’t clear. (that it had to be pre-existing external). I put together a signup form to address the issue, so all is good.

How/where would I be able to change screen prompts? specifically the web app login. I would like to change “user name” and “password” to something else (ie cardnumber and pin).

edit: I tried the i18n override per instructions but it was ignored, so I finally adjusted it in the original jar file for now just to get it done. I don’t know what step I might have missed.

@steveinbuffalo If users actually have a cardnumber and pin to authenticate, you might consider using ID Number Login, without the need to customize the screen prompt. If you do want to customize and have questions, please reply to How to customize SavaPage look-and-feel so we can move on from there.