Getting started with SavaPage: questions and answers

Hello @makdumul, welcome to SavaPage!

I assume you pressed the Test button in the Options > Mail Print section of the Admin Web App, and a “Failed IMAP test” error message reports that the “Trash” IMAP folder was not found.

You should enter the technical name of the IMAP folder (location) that is assigned to the logical Trash folder. This technical name can be different from the name you see in your email client. There probably is an option in the Webmail interface of your email provider to check how the mapping is configured, or may be your email client shows the Trash folder properties in more detail. For instance, in Mozilla Thunderbird you can open a “Folder Properties” dialog and inspect the IMAP folder (display) Name and Location.

hello @rijkr thanks for your reply. I am new in savapage so please bear with me. I am trying to add more then one printer and I want to add 1 specific printer for the Mail print. but in Option> Mail Print has no option for the add printer. I already add 3 proxy printer.

@makdumul Mail Print prints to SavaPage, not to a physical (proxy) printer. Printing to SavaPage is the first step. From there you can preview/edit the result and choose a proxy printer to print it to. See What is SavaPage?

Thanks for your reply.

Hi @rijkr for windows client I need to install postscript printer to send the print to savapage queues. I am flowing this chapter 12.8.1: https://www.savapage.org/docs/manual/ch-printer-windows.html. For the postscript printer is savapage provide any PS Printer Driver or I can install any PS Printer driver?

@makdumul Take a look at Which PostScript driver to use in Windows?

Hi,

I wanted to test Savapage to replace our homebrew solution for 2 Xerox Printers and a bought-in Solution for 2 Brother Printers.

I’ve used the same PPD File as I used with our homebrew solution but found a problem:

It looks like this Xerox provided PPD does not respect the “Color”-Setting of the print job when created in Savapage (Web). It always asumes “Color”.

This Xerox PPD only offers “Xerox BlackWhite” as Option to control if the printer will print greyscale or color.

Does anybody has an idea how to fix this problem?

Hi @stuka , Welcome to SavaPage! This is a known issue and can easily be solved. Please have a look at and reply to this post.

Hi,

thank you verry much for that link. I missed that page. I managed to get that working, but I found another “problem”:

All of our users have static IPs and we would like to eliminate the need for them to log-in into the WebApp before using IPPEverywhere / Airprint. Is there a way to set the allowed IP per User without the need to login? (direct DB manipulation is fine)

Thank you verry much!

Hi @stuka ,

There is no direct way (yet) to link an IP address to a User ID, set trust and auto-authenticate this user if a print to SavaPage is issued, or the User Web App is opened from the linked IP address.

However, running the User Client App (as startup application) might be a solution that suits you.

Assuming user login on a workstation is done with a (local or LDAP) system account that is present (synced) in SavaPage, you can enable the “Trust system user” option: see Options > Advanced . In this way the User Client App will trust the system account name. As a result, login to the User Client App will be automatic.

Once authenticated by the User Client App, printing to SavaPage with IPPEverywhere/Airprint does not need additional authentication. You can additionally enable the “Trust User Client” option for automatic User Web App authentication: see Options > User Authentication. In this way users can easily quick launch the User Web App via the User Client App menu, or by double clicking its tray icon.

A totally different solution would be to create your own trusted AirPrint Queue and use it in the Avahi Service configuration file: see IPP Everywhere and AirPrint. But be careful, because this setup honors all AirPrints to SavaPage from any device with the User ID that happens to be active (think BYOD).

Any solution without explicit authentication by SavaPage User Web App, could work but depends entirely on how user trust is enforced in your network domain.

Please let me know if there are extra requirements that invalidate above proposed solutions. If you like we can discuss details via support@savapage.org and report our conclusions as reply to this post afterwards.

P.S. Take SavaPage Release Candidate 2020-09-28 or later for testing the User Client App because of this fix.

Hello,

I’m interested in using KeyCloak (see keycloak dot org) for SSO. I’ve already configured my KeyCloak and SavaPage instances to source their users from the same OpenLDAP server. Now I’m struggling to figure out how to configure the SavaPage User Login page to list my KeyCloak as a Login Provider.

I’ve found the OAuth plugins, but as far as I can tell only Azure, Google, and SmartSchool are supported. However, the manual does seem to hint that arbitrary OAuth providers can be used for SSO.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Will I need to write my own implementation KeyCloakOAuthPlugin that implements OAuthClientPlugin? I wasn’t able to determine where OAuthClientPlugin was defined.

Thanks!

PS. Also, thanks for the excellent product. Really great work!

Hi @MetaFight, Welcome to SavaPage and thank you for pointing out the Open Source Keycloak OAuth solution. Synchronizing both Keycloak and SavaPage with your OpenLDAP server is indeed a prerequisite for Keycloak OAuth to work. Indeed, savapage-ext-oauth is the right place to find out that the Keycloak OAuth client was missing.

Since it is quite easy to add OAuth providers, I just created KeycloakOAuthPlugin.java with the savapage-ext-oauth-keycloak.properties.template. They are ready to test in SavaPage Release Candidate 2020-10-04 or later (see this issue).

Can you please reply to this post about OAuth to share your test results? Of course, pull requests for the Java code are welcome as well. Good luck!

I have a mostly working Docker setup. It would work fine as a way to trial the software, but it’s not production ready since I couldn’t get the Avahi stuff working.

Once I have a bit more time I’ll anonymise it (remove traces of my org and its credentials!) and send it your way.

Hey Rijk, I am looking for a solution to connect our web app to our local printer. Is it possible to install SavaPage on a PC or a raspberry pi that is connected to the local printer and then trigger to print PDFs via API call? Thanks, Dominik

@MetaFight That’s great. Please keep me posted. Nice to learn something new :slight_smile:

Hi @Dominik. Welcome!

If SavaPage Server Requirements are met, it is feasible to install SavaPage on a Raspberry Pi. Please reply to this post to ask questions and share your findings.

SavaPage has a RESTful API. Feedback based on real world use is greatly appreciated. So your question is right on target.

To get a feel you can use the POST /documents/print API from your web application. This uploads a Standard File Type document to SavaPage, after which it can be previewed in the User Web App. At this point you can manually select a proxy printer to print the captured document.

A RESTful API to upload a Standard File Type document for proxy printing is not present yet, but could be implemented if needed. In that case the proxy printer ID and printing options like number of copies, single/double sided, color/grayscale, should be passed. Please reply to this post to discuss your requirements.

Thank you for the quick answer, Rijk. We would have to implement an API for proxy printing, since we will be printing hundreds of documents and could not manually select a proxy printer every time. Would we have to implement the API ourselves? What effort do you estimate for this implementation?

Hi @Dominik,

Implementing extra API services is done by Development Partners. In this case I would be the developer.

I suggest discussing the details and timing of your requirement in a separate channel and then reporting conclusions in response to this post. Could you please email me at support@savapage.org ?

P.S. Organizations who intend to use SavaPage in a commercial/educational production environment are invited to join as Community Resident by subscribing to the software.

About Mail Print …
How it suppose to work? … How i select target printer … how often savapage check mails

Hi @savanon , welcome to SavaPage!

Mail Print prints to SavaPage, not to a physical (target) printer. Read the What is SavaPage introduction to get an idea about the print work-flow. SavaPage listens for incoming mail continuously, so there is minimal latency between sending the email and processing it. Once the mail printed document is visible in the User Web App you can Select a Printer to print it to.