Getting started with SavaPage: questions and answers

Hi Rijkr! Thanks for the advice, it was a permissions issue and resolved it. I am now able to sync users from Google LDAP but I am unable to logon any user with their Google credentials. I double checked to make sure the accounts were synced and I see them in the user list. What am I missing?

@HAAS Maybe 2FA is getting in the way? Did you try the Google OAuth Client Plug-in? See the User Manual and the savapage-ext-oauth-google.properties.template that’s part of the SavaPage OAuth Client Library.

Looks like it was due to a malformed Base DN entry. Corrected it and Google LDAP is now working! Thank you for the support!

1 Like

Hi! I’m currently setting up Savapage for a school. It works great, but is there a way to expose all printers directly on IPP or Airprint? It would be a lot easier to understand for less tech-savy teachers to use if they could print from their OS directly. I only found instructions to create on Savapage printer that send stuff to the web UI to print from there.

Hi @aaron, see User Manual : IPP Everywhere and AirPrint.

1 Like

Hello SavaPage Community, I discover savapage a some months ago and I finally got to try it and install it. but I have issues this is my problem. I have a cups printer server with 4 printers in it with Savapage installed. I can print a test page from the cups server to the printers so I know my configuration works. My problem is I cant get the printer to show in savapage clients view. I can see the printers in the Admin view but it tells me in red letters “Configuration Needed” I have added the PDD file of the printer in Savapage and assigned to the printer and the error does not go away. I have configure media on the printer and the error still there. One thing I notice when I configured media it does not give me an option to name the media but allows me to put price in it and active the preferer media file types. Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks

Hi @emp07 , welcome to SavaPage. Please contact me at support@savapage.org so we can discuss details there and report the conclusions here.

Hey, just installed Savapage as a possible solution for some of our printing needs and can’t get logged in. The page pops a warning that says “Application is being installed. Please wait a few minutes and try again.” but it never appears to finish. Let it sit overnight. Any ideas?

@lorsungcu You need to complete Step 8 - Configure as explained in the User Manual.

Just a hint that hit us: I had to pause the installation procedure and continued the next day. Then I tried to login into Savapage and omitted the “/admin” part. It took me quite some time to realize this mistake.

1 Like

Hello everyone

one thing I notice in our installation (everything seems to work so far) is, that in the admin panel when clicking “options” there is quite a long delay of about 1-2 minutes before the option panel is visible on the right hand side.
No obvious cpu load, enough free memory during the waiting time. Nothing in the log files I found so far.
As soon as the options open the first time, everything works smoothly.

I wondered if there is some timeout in the background (eg. a process not reacting) but I dont know what happens when “Options” is clicked.

Maybe a hint where to look?

Best regards
Thomas

@thoschi Client side (browser, javascript) performance issue?

@rijkr I checked that - load stays the same. My colleague witnessed the same behaviour on a completely different machine.
If I click on some other menu point during waiting, that one opens immediately. It is just the click from somewhere else to “options” in the menu, that takes such a long time until the submenu on the right opens.

Is there anything done/queried “per user”? Savapage is connected to an Active Directory with ~1300 users and ~50 groups, maybe this just takes time.

To me for now it does not “feel” like an error, as it is seems to take the same amount of time each time. No error messages in any logs (so far I found it). And as everything seems to work after that amount of time this is mostly something I’d call a little bit “annoying” (and would like to understand :wink: ).

@thoschi This does not sound familiar at all and seems very specific to your Linux setup on the SavaPage host. From my point of view it’s hard to guess what’s wrong. Do you have a virus scanner running on the SavaPage host? Do you use an external database like PostgreSQL as advised?

@rijkr Yes, we use PostgreSQL. No virus scanner. All inside an LXC container on proxmox. I am testing different Java Versions and will continue to look for any hint in Logfiles etc…
It just feels strange, as every other page in Savapage (eg user lists) runs quite smoothly.

One more question:
is there any way to print a page automatically (so without accessing any web interface, using a NFC card, …)? So let’s say to have a local printer next to a PC and print to savapage, get billed for that print and print it out automatically?
As far as I understand print modes so far, I can use a device like an NFC card reader for fast print modes - but is there any way to do without (just print)?
This is only interesting for certain workstations where opening a web portal or installing a card reader seems to prolongue the workflow unnecessary. Of course it is easy to access the printer queue directly but then the Savapage will not get notice of the (free) print.
Thank you
Thomas

@thoschi This can be done with IPP Routing.

@rijkr Thank you, that was the right point to start - I still need to understand all the details about Savapage obviously! Got it working quickly then :slight_smile:

So the Terminal is deciding what to do from the senders address and the username is transmitted (as it is to cups). And depending on the “routing options” the correct amount of money is billed against the correct user account. Impressive!

Is there a way to internet print to 2 different printers directly? I do not plan to do this so do not need it - just to check how far I understood the workflows of Savapage.

For different trays I would then create different Printers that send to two different qeues with different values for media-tray?

Is there a way to allow double sided printing this way (its greyed out on the client)? Again as a different printer, giving other queue options or are there other options.

Thank you!
Thomas

@thoschi

Q: Is there a way to internet print to 2 different printers directly?
A: No, it’s limited to a single printer.

Q: For different trays I would then create different Printers that send to two different qeues with different values for media-tray?
A: No need to create different Printers. Create a Queue for each tray and assign the tray to the media-source in the IPP Routing Options/Terminal. You can use this pattern for any combination of IPP key/value pairs. Key/value for double sided printing is “sides”:“two-sided-long-edge”. The Printer Setting Options shows a list of options you can use.